Saturday, June 13, 2009

Back in the Swing of Things...

I am finally getting myself back into a "normal" routine with life - although my definition of "normal" is much different than it was before Rayne was born.
I made my first trip to the grocery store this week. Oh, I've been to the store to pick up a little of this or some of that, but I had been very intentional in stocking our cupboards and freezer before Rayne was born in order to minimize trips to the grocery store while she was still so young. My plan paid off! Other than buying fresh produce and dairy products, we survived on what was stocked in our home for over two months!
One thing I DIDN'T do, though, was keep up with my coupons. Because I wasn't going to the store on a regular basis, I didn't think about needing to continue to gather coupons for my first return trip. Therefore, my first trip back wasn't as frugal as I would have LIKED it to be, but it went well. We bought some special treats as well - Scallops and Tilapia. They were a great deal, and although I wouldn't have considered them, my husband thought that such a good deal should be celebrated! We have enough for several meals, so I agree that it was well worth the purchase.
My coupon box is mostly empty right now, so I must get back in the groove of hunting down coupons. It will come. Fortunately, we haven't COMPLETELY emptied our cupboards, so a little planning should get us through until my stash is replenished.
One HUGE deal that I found was at Babies R Us. I had a coupon for $2.00 off the formula that we normally purchase. Plus, I had several manufacturer's checks for an additional $5.00 off each can. That made it $7.00 off per can of formula. So, I bought four cans - esentially getting one can for free!!! That made me feel good! I haven't completely lost my touch :)
I'm also back in the groove of daily exercise. It feels SO good. I wanted to start going to the gym, but I am finding that it is still easier for me to workout at home - whenever during the day is convenient. Eventually, I will return to the gym on a regular basis. For now, though, it's great to be doing anything at all. Everyone is telling me not to be too hard on myself in losing the weight I gained while I was pregnant. However, I know me. If I don't get on my own case, I'll be 20 lbs. heavier for the rest of my life. My baby is bottle feeding and sleeping through the night, so I have decided that it's time to kick my diet and exercise routine into high gear. So far, so good.
I have also begun working part time from home - only about 10 hrs./week, but it's something - and it allows Luke to be home a little more often. I am doing some administrative assistant type work for a friend who is a self-employed website developer. It feels good too, to be doing something that is exercising my brain. I'm really enjoying the opportunity. I am having mixed feelings about going back to flying. I really want to, but I am waiting on the LORD to give me peace about some parts of the puzzle that need to come together. I am learning to deepen my trust in and guidance from Him. It's good for me.
I am blessed to have such a wonderful partner in life. Luke has been so encouraging to me. I know that our marriage continues to grow stronger every day - with every challenge we face and every choice we make. . .and because of this I am a better person, and a better parent.
So, ten and a half weeks have passed since we were in the hospital meeting Rayne for the first time. Wow. How great is our God!

No comments: