Wednesday, February 6, 2008

So Exciting...

Oh, I'm so excited, I can hardly stand it!! Today has been a super day - and it's all thanks to the inspiration I got from the suggestion on my friend Risha's blog. She suggested that we check out the blog of a money-saving genius! I did it, and was completely inspired to at least TRY to save money on groceries and other necessities. I suppose the story goes back a bit further than Risha's post. When 2008 rolled around, my loving husband shared with me his desire to set some goals for our family without me having to work so much. So, we've been diligent in getting our finances in order so we can do other things. We didn't really have a PROBLEM, per se, before. However, we sat down and wrote out a plan (i.e., budget) to put us miles ahead of where we are now. We are already seeing the fruits of our labor, and noticing the benefits of delayed gratification. Another thing we had been struggling with was tithing regularly. We just decided to quit struggling with it and take care of business. No. questions. asked.
So, today was the first day of coupon clipping, ad perusing, and visiting more than one store to get our groceries. I was amazed. Among the things we have been working on adjusting is the amount that we eat out when we are not working. In the past, we have gone to the grocery store with the list of things we will need for our food bags for work, and nothing, really, to stock the house with. So, today, I thought we should start stocking our cupboards for when we are home. That way, we won't be so motivated to just go to a restaurant when we already have food at home. So, with our list a little longer than normal, we headed out. We ended up saving over $50 on our groceries this week! I'm impressed with that, seeing that I have never been much into coupon clipping and bargain hunting. We bought food for several meals at home, and all the food we will need while at work, and we spent just a little bit more than we had been when buying food only for our trips. I think this is going to be a good thing for our household. I'm sure the more I do it, the better I'll get at it, and I'm looking forward to the day that I save more than I spend for a weeks worth of groceries! I truly believe that God is already blessing us for our resolve to be good stewards of what He is giving to us. I'm looking forward to continuing to learn how to do that better. I suggest you all give this website a look. I just might change the way you look at things!

3 comments:

Risha said...

Yeah! I'm so happy that it worked for you! I am really working on this, too! I went shopping today, and I'm pretty sure I bought enough food for the next two weeks (I've shopped on an every two week schedule since we were married) for $108. That comes out to less than $55/week, which I am thrilled with! I already know of one or two things that I couldn't find/forgot, so I'll have to make another trip to pick up those. I also found more coupons at www.thecouponmaster.com and www.thecouponclippers.com. As soon as those come in, I'm going to hit CVS and see how I do.

Anyways, I'll stop now because I'm problaby going to post about it on my blog, so you can read more about it there!

By the way, the woman who runs the money saving blog has another blog at www.biblicalwomanhood.com. It's another one I would highly recommend!

JLHesse said...

Congrats! I tried grocerygame.com for a few weeks, and I couldn't keep up with all the coupon clipping. I'll check out the site you recommended. Good luck with your money-saving efforts -- I know it would help us, too, if I could figure this all out and find the time to implement it.

Hannah Fields said...

Way to go!!! I love to coupon clip. I haven't been so good at it lately. Dale made fun of me because it was kind of a rush for me to save money using my coupons. Eating at home will save you money and it is often a lot healthier. Way to go again!