Happy Valentine's Day!!!
When I was in college a good friend of mine inspired me and encouraged me to memorize scripture in a way that became real to me. She counseled me to start small and expand my horizons as I gained experience. Her recommendation was that I begin with I John. So, I did it. I wrote out note cards of the entire book and would tote them around in my backpack. Every chance I got, I would pull out the cards and read them. In my dorm room, I would recite the verses out loud (if I was alone), and well into the summer following my junior year (as I toured with Abundant Life) I had memorized the entire book. I must admit that my aspirations to memorize books of scripture have not gone much beyond the summer of 1999, but it was still a good experience for me. And, to this day, I find myself repeating those verses as I travel on life's journey.
I thought today, being Valentine's Day, would be a good day to revisit that book - actually reading the entire thing from scripture. I chose the New Century Version today. I chose this version because it is not the version I memorized and it forced me to really read it word for word. Love God (accept Him as your personal Savior) and love people. Those are the commands. Not something new to learn, but something crucial to our lives as we approach the end times. In fact, they are already here. We need to know how to stay away from the enemy - and that comes by Christ living in us. If Christ is truly living in us, we will be alive in Christ forever and we will show that we love (and have Christ living in us) by not only our words, but by our actions. There will come times when we will be faced with doubt, but because we are children of God, we will know how to love - if we simply ask Him. By showing our genuine love to each other, we are showing God to each other. When we show God to each other, we are showing evidence of being His children. That relationship can give us a confidence to come before Christ and ask for His will to be done. When God works His will in our lives, it comes full circle - his will is for us to love Him and love others. (My quick paraphrase of I John)
So, today is Valentine's Day. I'm sure that pretty much everyone who reads this has someone "special" that they love dearly. But, don't forget that loving is more than that. Showing love for each other is not only a command from Christ, loving each other is the way that world is going to hear about Christ and accept Him. As believers it starts with us - and it starts today.
I thought today, being Valentine's Day, would be a good day to revisit that book - actually reading the entire thing from scripture. I chose the New Century Version today. I chose this version because it is not the version I memorized and it forced me to really read it word for word. Love God (accept Him as your personal Savior) and love people. Those are the commands. Not something new to learn, but something crucial to our lives as we approach the end times. In fact, they are already here. We need to know how to stay away from the enemy - and that comes by Christ living in us. If Christ is truly living in us, we will be alive in Christ forever and we will show that we love (and have Christ living in us) by not only our words, but by our actions. There will come times when we will be faced with doubt, but because we are children of God, we will know how to love - if we simply ask Him. By showing our genuine love to each other, we are showing God to each other. When we show God to each other, we are showing evidence of being His children. That relationship can give us a confidence to come before Christ and ask for His will to be done. When God works His will in our lives, it comes full circle - his will is for us to love Him and love others. (My quick paraphrase of I John)
So, today is Valentine's Day. I'm sure that pretty much everyone who reads this has someone "special" that they love dearly. But, don't forget that loving is more than that. Showing love for each other is not only a command from Christ, loving each other is the way that world is going to hear about Christ and accept Him. As believers it starts with us - and it starts today.
1 comment:
We love because He first loved us! Thanks for the reminder - commercial though it may be, VDay can remind us of the One who loves perfectly! :-) Hugs to you, Luce!
Post a Comment