Tuesday, July 31, 2007

The Joys of Home Ownership......

....If you could really call it that. Actually, we are really blessed. We are loving our home. I was just thinking a few days ago as I was pulling into the driveway, that we've been homeowners for two months now!!! Wow. It seems like just yesterday!
Anyway, the oddest thing happened. Here in the desert, we don't get rain like the rest of the world gets rain. During the hot summer months (July and August) we get what they call the "monsoons." Okay, it's not like monsoons in the other parts of the world, but it's pretty crazy water flow and flooding. So, as you can imagine we are in the thick of monsoon season right now.
Yesterday, my in-laws came over for a bit and we went outside to observe the beautiful yard. Now that it's gotten natural rainwater, the grass is a healthy green color and the flowers are happy, happy, happy. So, we're standing out there, and our dear neighbor peaks her head over the wall and says, "Luke, Luke....I'm so glad I caught you!"(I think she's been waiting at her door for us to emerge for a day or two now...) "Look at your roof", she said, pointing toward our house. We turned around to see several pieces of tile blown off our roof, exposing a big hole right down to the furring strips and paper!
Oops! I guess the wind and the rain came in full force on Friday night, and chose to wreak havoc on our little Casa. Good thing my dad-in-law is a roofing contractor. He hopped on my husband's shoulders and climbed up to the roof and put them back - only then we found that six of them were gone completely!!!!! What in the world?! It's all good, though. He's got tile in his Roofing yard and is going to match ours to what he has and bring us a replacement. What a blessing that is!!!!!!
I love the rain, but it's sure dangerous here in the desert. All the plants are so happy right now - everything is green. It's nice to see such a time of refreshment.
Well, folks, I'm off to spend a glorious day with my hubby! I hope you all have a great day, too!
'Til next time.....

No comments: