This week was a rather slow one for mega-deals at the grocery store, so I thought I would share with you some other money saving tips that I have learned during my research...things that you might not think about, but things that just make sense.
1. When shopping for produce that you hand select, (i.e., apples, oranges, onions, potatoes, etc.) take a few moments to select the SMALLEST pieces you can find. Think about it. If you're paying by the pound, each ounce adds up. However, when you select that delicious apple from your fruit bowl, wash it off and take a bite, you're not going to notice a few ounces difference. So, selecting the smallest ones may add up to an entire extra piece of fruit in your basket - or at least a few cents savings at the checkout.
2. Meal plan!!! I just started doing this, and I was shocked at the savings I found myself at the checkout. I sit down and make a list of every day. Then, I figure out which meals we will be eating at home. I then look thru the weekly circular to find things that are on sale. If I have meat in the freezer, I look for side dish deals. If I'm needing meat for a main dish, I take the time to plan my meals around what is on sale.
3. Combine several methods of couponing to maximize your savings. Most of you probably already know this, but sitting down with your Sunday paper is not the only way to saving at the store. Websites such as www.shortcuts.com allow you to register your frequent shopper card from your local grocery store. Then, you peruse the coupons on the site, load the ones you want onto your card, and when you scan your card at the store, the coupons automatically deduct from your total.
Hope this helps. I have had several of you ask me to continue to post tips and hints as I learn them - especially for those of you who don't have a ton of time to do research on your own. I will continue to pass on whatever I learn! Have a great week, everyone!!!
No comments:
Post a Comment